Saturday, July 23, 2011

Essential Equipment for Floral Macro Photography

You might think I'm kidding, but the photo below shows some of the equipment that I regard as essential for taking good quality floral macros.




The boots (Vasque Sundowners) are waterproof, allowing me to pursue flowers anywhere in the garden after it's rained, or after watering.  In addition, they provide ankle support when I'm walking over uneven terrain and not paying close attention to the ground below me - I'm usually looking for my next shot, and not the ground.  And, these boots have a steel shank in the sole, which allows me to sit on the heels of my boots when in a kneeling position for long periods of time without foot fatigue.  This kneeling position provides a very stable position from which to shoot, which is critical for macro photography.


The hat provides protection from the elements, particularly the sun.  This hat, made by Outdoor Research, has a 50+ UPF rating.  (The Ultraviolet Protection Factor (or “UPF”) rating system measures the UV protection provided by fabric. It is very similar to the SPF rating system used for sunscreens.  A garment with a UPF of 50 only allows 1/50th of the UV radiation falling on the surface of the garment to pass through it. In other words, it blocks 49/50ths or 98% of the UV radiation.)  One of the features of this hat that makes it ideal for photography is its flexible brim.  Unlike a baseball cap, the brim on this hat flops up in front and stays in the upright position, thus not interfering with my camera when looking through the viewfinder.  Very nice!


And finally, the kneeling pad is great for kneeling.  It is also great for sitting on when occasions require doing so (i.e., when capturing photos of bees and other garden insects).  Having dry, happy knees and buttocks at the end of the day is a very good thing.  I bought this kneeling/buttocks pad at Home Depot in the Garden Section for less that $10.


Well there you have it.  Being dry and comfortable makes for good floral macro photography.  I encourage you to look into getting these items if you don't already have them as part of your photographic arsenal. 


Happy shooting!


Mike

7 comments:

  1. You have inspoired me to stop putting off bringing the knee pads with me Mike!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on the accessories and also carry a kneeling/sitting pad with me (I got mine at Target). I wear Teva sandals rather than your boots, but I also get support and the ability to walk through watery places.

    Another suggestion: I swear by my "photojournalist" vest and do not carry a camera bag into the field,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa - It's amazing how much more comfortable it is with a kneeling pad. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celeste - Great suggestion about the vest. I've been using one of the smaller Lowepro Sling packs for the past several years, but a vest would be more convenient. I'll look into getting a vest in the near future. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great suggestions, Mike! I have the knee pad and rubber boots (for wading in swampy areas), but not the hat! Guess what I'm shopping for this week? Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, Gail! Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really cool stuff I found here, thanks for sharing. Depending on the type of battery your camera has, you will be better off by having a replacement with you. Sometimes they will also come with a charger, so you can always get ready by having both sets of battery charged and ready for the shooting trip!

    Kessler crane

    ReplyDelete